domingo, 4 de dezembro de 2016

Shuzo Matsuoka interviews Yuzuru Hanyu after NHK Trophy (aired on TV Asahi 28 Nov 2016)

skate15ylove.tumblr.
  
Shuzo: You made this pose during the competition this time. We were wondering what it means…

Yuzuru: I thought “it was so close” (mou choi), particularly for the SP.  As you know, I have newly included 4Lo for this competition… or rather it’s a new jump for this season. I thought if only I could have adjusted the gap of my feeling [for the 4Lo] a bit more.
(narration)

Yuzuru: I feel way too frustrated. I am saying “so close” but if compared to the size of the globe, it would be equal to the length of the whole equator. Baan!

Shuzo: What are you feeling frustrated for?

Yuzuru: My performance was as such, despite I was thinking that I could do everything properly. Of course, there are lots of parts that have got better, but despite the hard practice and the confidence I built, I am able to execute only to this extent? That’s what I was feeling.

Shuzo: Can’t you think like “I am improving a little bit” or “it’s OK to fail only a bit”?

Yuzuru: No, I can’t. Competitions are only for once. There is one for less than 3 mins (SP) and the other for less than 5 mins (FP), and within these two programmes, the number of jumps is, according to the limit, about … well how many is it…?  8 plus 3 equals… 11. There are only 11 jumps. Only for 11 jumps, we skaters devote our skating life for decades.  So, it’s hard to feel that “I have grown! I have done it!!”… It’s not so easy.

Shuzo: So, it’s not that “it was so close” but rather you feel so frustrated. Your frustration…

Yuzuru: Well, if possible, I would like to do this way. (hitting down with fist) Ghaaan!  I want to do it like this.  (laughs)  That’s “Yuzuru Hanyu”.

(narration, screen shows NHK Trophy 2015 and GPF 2015)

Shuzo: (During the last season) you made two perfect performances one after another, so we have received a strong impression that Mr Hanyu never makes a mistake.

Yuzuru: Yes, indeed. There were lots of pressure. Especially for this NHK trophy, I was feeling that “I’ll have to make it”. As you know, there is this [equation] “NHK Cup = Yuzuru Hanyu = the World Record”. There is this sort of a package.  So, I feel pressure, equally for the GPF this year. But, that is “expectation”, I mean pressure is expectation. I love pressure, I love being at the edge of a cliff, hurrah!  Something like that. (laughter)

Shuzo: Does it mean that you were able to change it [pressure] to something positive?

Yuzuru:  From way before, I regard pressure as a positive thing. I could take it as power to push my back. There are many ways to change it to power, so I’d like to ride the flow.

Shuzo: We selfishly expect that “it might well be another perfect performance”.

Yuzuru: Well, I also aim at a full score. Of course, that is my aim but this season is a rather challenging one… so… no, I am not going to think that way, changed my mind.  [Apparently, Yuzuru changed his thought here.]  I think I can do it.

Shuzo: However, it’s a very difficult one, it’s not as though you were able to achieve something that you have been trying for a long time, as it includes something new.

Yuzuru: But I can do it. [He nods a few times with a smile.] For the NHK trophy, I mumbled “I can do it, I can do it, I can do it” three times.

[narration + Yuzu skating to the centre to start the SP, his mouth saying “dekiru” (I can).]

Yuzuru: It was like this; I was thinking that I could definitely execute 4Lo, and as a result of challenging it, I was able to land in the FP eventually. By believing in the strength of words, I think I can become even stronger.

Shuzo: By saying “I can do it, I can do it, I can do it”, what do you think have changed?

Yuzuru: Self-confidence. I can feel more confident in myself. By saying so, I was able to execute a perfect programme in a practice in the past, so I was able to challenge towards the competition based upon such self-confidence.

Shuzo: Believe in yourself. I will believe in you and look forward to watching you at Marseille.

Yuzuru: Thank you. Thank you very much.


161128 修造対談 去年は"異次元"今年は? por YzRIKO

–translated by Sophie Moroi in YHIFG (and slightly edited by yuzusorbet.tumblr.);  video thanks to YzRIKO

0 comentários:

Postar um comentário


This blog is a summary of some facts of life and skater Yuzuru Hanyu career. The idea came from not find almost anything here in Brazil about Yuzuru and / or skating , but when searching the world discovered so things became difficult absorb and organize all ; hence this blog was born .