quinta-feira, 21 de julho de 2016

YUZU DAYS - Interview on P&G (June 2016)


P&G Interview (1 June 2016)
 
What figure skating taught me– “Family ties"

~A blessing to be “Hanyu family’s Yuzuru”~
From the time I was in elementary school, whether for skating or daily life, my family gave me self-sacrificing support and I can never thank them enough. Especially my parents who brought me up with the direction of “No matter how much you love skating, we want you to know the world outside of skating”. Even when I became an adult, even when I got the gold medal(s), that has not changed. To my parents and sister, I am still the same as before, eldest son and youngest child of the Hanyu family. And I also want to be “the son of these parents”, I always feel that this is such a blessing.

~Family’s words become strength~

Especially at times when I am feeling troubled, I clearly feel the blessing of family. I know what I should do but I just cannot act on it. At those times, a word or advice from my family becomes a switch, and many times it is an impetus for things becoming better. Particularly from my mum who is always close to me, her words are special. This is what others would say too (about their own mothers), not just me. Mother, how many months she cherished me in her belly, gave birth to me after a hard time, always together with me since I was a baby, because of that, there are things she understands. Those words and thoughts have weight and go straight in, and echo deeply within.


~Each member has a different personality~
The 4 people in the Hanyu family all have different blood types. Not sure if it’s due to that, all our personalities are different. Strong-willed me sometimes get into a trivial argument with Mum, my serious sister will go “maa-maa” (t/n. Japanese way of saying “now, now” to calm things down) and tries to mediate, Dad will be watching with “today, whose side should I take to settle this matter”; it’s often this pattern. (laughs) Because our personalities are different, we recognise that and accept one another, unity is not a problem. Being all different, I think we are a very well-balanced family.

~Dad~
Dad stays in Sendai because of work, so usually he is not with me, but what he has decided stands firm. His presence has that kind of weight. He is like the spiritual pillar supporting the Hanyu family. Long time back, I used to get yelled at, but now, he watches over me and advises me calmly.

~Mum~
Mum is most often with me, and I can tell her anything. Good things, bad things, whatever my thoughts, I just say it out to her honestly. There are also things I don’t say because it will make her worry, but Mum still knows it. In recent years, it is Mum’s role to give me the chiding.

~Big Sister~
Sister is gentle and loving, and always thinking with me from my position. Being a sister, there are things she understands with a different view point from my parents. As children, we also understand each other’s feelings towards our parents.  My relationship with my sister basically has not changed from the time I was 4.  She is still my ‘oneechan’ who spoils me. (*pronounced 'oh-nay-chan’ meaning big sister)

~With family~
During (skate) season, Mum and I are in Canada, so there is very little time that the 4 of us can be together. I really look forward to spending time in my family home. When I return home after a long period, Dad and Sister dotes on me like I’m a little kid. Skating is not mentioned much; we get excited about topics on TV or we enjoy games together. Sometimes we have silly arguments. (laughs) Home is a place where I can return to “original”. It is very comforting.


An interesting bit: 
 
Q: 21 year-old Hanyu-senshu, are there times when you drink alcohol with your family?
When I turned 20 and I returned to Sendai, for celebrating “Coming of Age”, I drank sake for the first time, together with my grandfather and male cousin(s). Then later, Dad also joined in and everyone drank, but my speech started to slur. Sake is nice but I think it does not suit my constitution. As an athlete, not being able to drink alcohol, it’s just right. (laughs)

translated by Angelic Yuzuru; source: myrepi.com

0 comentários:

Postar um comentário


This blog is a summary of some facts of life and skater Yuzuru Hanyu career. The idea came from not find almost anything here in Brazil about Yuzuru and / or skating , but when searching the world discovered so things became difficult absorb and organize all ; hence this blog was born .